A Decade in Review

Welcome to 2010! I was thinking that a lot has happened for me and my family in the last decade. Our family size has doubled, we've moved 1000 miles, had several callings, and Steven has had several jobs. In short, we've come a long way.

Here is the decade in review:

2000. At the beginning of 2000, Hannah was just three months old. We were living in a tiny (about 700 square feet) one bedroom apartment at 107 Via Serena in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA. Steven started the year working for Howard & Tatman, and ended working for Prudential California Realty, calculating realtors' commissions. I had just begun a new life as a stay at home mother, and I had recently been called as a primary pianist. Steven was still working on his degree at CSU Fullerton.

2001. John arrived on earth. Needing more space, we moved to a two bedroom apartment in the same complex. Steven quit his job at Prudential to work at another company for two weeks, that job flopped and he was unemployed for a couple weeks before starting work at Experian (the credit score company) as a temp. I taught a primary class this year and Steven was the Physical Facilities Representative. I remember he caught several mice in the church building with peanut butter.

2002. Due to financial difficulties, we moved in with Steven's parents in for six long months. While there, Steven and I served in the nursery at church. Eventually, Steven graduated from college and we moved to Westminster, Colorado. Steven started working at Fattor, Probst and Dallmann, an accounting firm. In Colorado I taught a primary class again. Steven started in primary with me for a few months, but was soon called as Ward Mission Leader.

2003. After months of dilligent study, Steven passed the CPA exam on his first try. We moved to our condo in Thornton, CO, bought our first minivan, and Joshua was born all within a couple months. Later in the year I was called to serve as Primary Pianist.

2004. Hannah turned five one day after the cut off to start kindergarten, therefore I started homeschooling and taught her to read. (Incidentally, John, watching and listening closely, also learned to read this year.) We acquired a fish tank and the first of a long line of fish. We took a memorable vacation to Jackson Hole,WY that summer. Our ward boundaries were reorganized and Steven was called as Ward Clerk. After five years of continuous Primary callings, I was called as Relief Society chorister.

2005. Steven was elected to a two year term on our HOA board. Peter came into our lives with all his energy. Steven started working for Advocate, a home building company. Hannah finally started school, and after one week of showing her stuff in kindergarten, she was bumped up to first grade. Steven started his dream calling as Scout Master. I served as Ward Music Chairperson.

2006. John started school and I was back in primary as the chorister.

2007.  Joshua and I joined a preschool group where the moms took turns teaching the five kids twice a week. Hannah was baptized. Steven started working for Encon United, a concrete manufacturing company, as Controller. Steven also got his Amateur Extra Ham Radio License.

2008. Feeling a little crowded in our condo, we put it on the market and started looking for a new house. We received no offers, and failed to find another house that could suit all our needs and desires and so didn't move. Joshua started kindergarten in the fall. I continued as primary chorister. John and I both got our Technician Ham Radio Licences.

2009. Steven was again elected to the HOA board. We bought a new van, but not a new house. Steven and I got to slog through rain and mud as Ma and Pa on our Stake Pioneer Trek. April convinced us to provide a home for her two cats, along with their two kittens. John was baptized. I was called as Primary President. Steven continues to enjoy his calling as Scout Master.

So here we are, ten years, three kids, 1000 miles, four cats, and many fish later, still enjoying life and looking forward to the new decade with all it has to bring.

Happy new year!

Comments

  1. Happy new year to you too! What a great idea for a post! You've inspired me to do the same. Hope 2010 is a great deacade for you guys as well, and hope we can see you during it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! What great memories your posts bring back. I think I will borrow your idea too. Thank you! I need to get blogging more anyway. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop