Another Busy But Fun Day

Yesterday we went to an orientation at the middle school. I still find it difficult to believe that Hannah will be in middle school, and now it is less than a week away. Wow. I was grateful that they had a parent meeting, while the 6th graders were learning the same things and getting their tour of the school and trying out their lockers. I like that the school has a website where we can see what homework has been assigned (not that I'm worried about Hannah completing her homework, but it's nice to have a way to see when she should be studying or completing a project.) I like that we will be able to check on her grades any time online, and so won't be surprised when report cards come home. I like how the 6th graders get a six week introduction to each of the electives the school offers so they can make informed decisions when selecting their 7th and 8th grade electives. I am a little concerned that Hannah isn't currently registered for honors classes, even though we filled out the paper work for them in the spring, and her teacher last year was pretty confident that she would be... I talked to the counselor at the school yesterday, and hopefully we can get that straightened out before school starts.

After the orientation at the school, I felt like having a fun day out with the kids before school starts again. We went shoe shopping first(4 pairs of shoes, buy one get one 1/2 off sale, with a 20% off total purchase coupon - $43), then went to Little Caesar's for lunch. (1 large hot and ready pepperoni pizza - $5 plus tax) A couple of the kids had earned coupons to Dairy Queen for a free ice cream cone through our library summer reading program, so our next stop was DQ to redeem them. I bought ice cream cones for the other two kids as well. (2 ice cream cones at about $1.65 each - $3.30) From there we went to a movie theater to watch How to Train Your Dragon. (5 tickets @ $2.50 each - $12.50) The movie was great. I think everyone really enjoyed it, except for Peter who got a little scared near the end. When we left the theater, the thermometer in our car read 104 degrees. We came home, changed quickly and went to the pool to cool off for an hour (free). Then it was time for dinner. In all, it was a fun day. The kids were good, I wasn't stressed out, and we had a lot of fun. We even ran into some people we knew along the way. I started the day with about $25 in my wallet and came home with less than $5, (I paid for the shoes with a credit card; not cash) but the day was memorable. I hope the kids return to school with happy memories of time spent with the family during the summer.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop

The Year in Review: Peter in 2022