Projects

The kids have been in school for an entire week now! Wow! They seem to be enjoying school a lot, especially Peter, who continues to tell me ALL about his day. I love it!


Our kitchen when we moved in
Our kitchen as it was when we moved in.
While they've been in school, I've been working on a project here at home. A few years ago, we put our house on the market, in the hopes that we could sell it and move somewhere bigger. In preparation for that, I painted our dark brown cupboards yellow. As you might be aware, we didn't end up moving, we are still here, and the paint has begun peeling from the edges of the cupboard doors and drawers. As part of the process of fixing up our condo, I thought I would repaint them.



 
Our kitchen after painting the cupboards
A drawer today
Monday I removed the five lower cupboard doors, smeared them with paint stripper and began the long process of preparing them to be repainted. In the process, I discovered what went wrong the first time - I hadn't removed the varnish on the wood doors before I started painting them! Apparently paint doesn't stick very well to varnish. So.... Not only do I have to remove the paint and primer that I put on the doors the first time, now I have to remove the varnish as well, and it isn't coming easily. The stripper gets some of it, but not all, and I'm having to sand a lot of it off with steel wool. Four days into the process, I finally have one side of each of those five cupboard doors stripped, sanded, and just about ready to repaint. I haven't started yet on the other sides, or on the thirteen upper cabinet doors, or the seven drawers, let alone the cabinets themselves. At the rate I'm going this will take me a month. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.

A cupboard after stripping and sanding

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop