Personal History #4

What did you do when you were a child that got you in the most trouble and how did your parents handle it?

In trouble? Me? I was always a perfect angel! I never got in trouble!

Okay... I do remember one time... It seems I had an imaginary friend as a little girl. Her name was Suzy I think. Anyway, at dinner one evening I was pretending to be her and not behaving quite as nicely as my usually angelic self. My frustrated parents would tell "MaeLyn" to behave and I would reply, "I'm not MaeLyn, I'm Suzy!" Finally, my frustrated parents showed me to the front door and told "Suzy" to go home and send "MaeLyn" back. I ended up sitting on the front porch, a very confused little girl. I realized, of course, that I really was "MaeLyn" however, it didn't occur to me that I could just walk back in the door, say "I'm MaeLyn" and that all would be fine. It was very clear in my mind that my parents had just kicked me out of the house. I don't know how long I was outside that evening. I remember walking to the edge of our property, contemplating running away, but I knew that I wasn't old enough to cross streets by myself. It was also starting to get dark, and I didn't have a flash light or anything with me. It was a bit scary. I remember also looking at the houses in the cul-de-sac across the street and wondering which one of them housed the girl I was supposed to be finding and sending home. I wondered if my parents would like her more than they had liked me. I don't know what eventually ended that ordeal. Maybe I went back in on my own; maybe one of my parents came out looking for me. Either way, I don't think "Suzy" ever made an appearance again.

I have a very early memory of being spanked. I think it was because I wasn't getting my pajamas on fast enough. I always thought that was a dumb reason to have been spanked until I had children of my own. Now I understand.

I don't think bed time was the only time I was a slow poke. I remember times when I was supposed to do my chores, and spending a really long time in both cleaning, and playing, and cleaning some more. I often pretended I was a princess locked in a tower (which happened to strongly resemble a bathroom) and I had to get the "magic" mirror and sink perfectly spotless or the wicked witch (this role being played by my mother) would send me back to clean it again. I don't know how my parents handled my pokiness, or if they were just happy if the chores would eventually get done.

I seriously don't remember ever being in big trouble. Maybe my parents will read this and remember something I've repressed. If so, feel free to add a comment!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop