Happy Flag Day!

For the third morning in a row, I was awake at 5am. Wednesday morning, it was to take Steven and Hannah to the church for their Trek. Yesterday, it was because Hannah's alarm clock went off again. (Luckily once I figured out how to turn it off and make sure it would stay off, I could go back to sleep.)

John, a friend, and Peter loading some flags into a car
This morning, it was because today is Flag Day. Our scouts have a fund raiser where they put up flags in people's yards on certain holidays: Presidents' Day, Memorial Day, Flag Day, Independence Day, Veterans' Day. There are probably more, but I can't remember what they are right now. (My brain doesn't wake up until at least 7am.) Usually Steven, who is more of a morning person than I am, is the one who takes the boys.

On Memorial Day, because John had to be elsewhere at the same time to meet his group for the Bolder Boulder, I got to take Josh and Peter to do flags. Due to a shortage of drivers with large enough cars, I got to drive a route, trying to find addresses in a neighborhood I wasn't very familiar with, without a map, peering in early morning dimness at houses with concealed house numbers, searching for the addresses I was supposed to stop at, so the boys could climb out of the car, hammer a piece of rebar into the front lawn and place a PVC pipe with a flag attached onto the rebar sticking out of the ground.

Josh and John next to a posted flag
This morning, thankfully, there were sufficient drivers. I stuck around while the boys helped to load flags into the backs of trucks and watched them drive off. Tonight, the same driver who took them to put up flags will pick them up and take them to collect the flags again. It's not a bad fund raiser really. It helps to teach the boys about flag etiquette (Don't let that flag touch the ground!) and they aren't selling things door to door (something I detest). I just wish they could do it a little later in the day. Or I wish that I was the type of person who could go back to sleep after being up and around for a while.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop