Our 15th Anniversary

Fifteen years ago today I married my best friend.
Our second date

I have mentioned before how we met. (See here, here, and here) We were in the same seminary class before school our Sophomore year in high school, and in the same math class at the end of the school day. We started talking after school. From the very beginning, I found him a fun person to be around. He would tell me funny stories, and I would laugh. We went on a couple official dates during high school - Junior Prom, Senior Winter Formal, seeing Aladdin in the theater the night of our Senior Prom. Mostly we talked on the phone on Friday nights, and slow danced at dances that were held once a month at our church building. I counted him one of my best friends.

When I went to BYU in the fall of '93, we lost touch. He thought I was going to get married really quickly; I was looking for opportunities to meet other guys. He worked and went to the community college and eventually left on a mission to South Africa in March of 1995. I graduated from BYU and left on a mission to Brazil in June 1996. In October or November of that year, I received a letter from him. His mission president had told him to write to a girl, and so he wrote to me. I responded to his letter, and we began to renew our friendship.

When he returned home in March of 1997, the first letter I received from him was a poem to tell me he loved me. I was still a missionary, and didn't want to think about that at the time, but I responded to his letter, and we continued to write back and forth. When I returned home from my mission in December of that year, he was at the airport to meet me, and I had to duck to avoid the hug that he tried to give me.

For the next couple months, he made himself as helpful as he possibly could be. He had access to a car, and I didn't, so he gave me rides to church, to institute, to training for my job. He invited himself over to my house, and invited me over to his. On Valentines' Day 1998, he gave me a poem in which he told me that he was going to ask me to marry him. That was the first time I ever kissed him. Our conversations became more serious, and in March, we were officially engaged. From our engagement to our wedding day three months later, he wrote me a poem almost every single day.

We were married in the San Diego Temple on June 13th 1998. (On the way to the temple that morning, he gave me a book that contained all the love poems he had written for me.)

The fifteen years since then have had some ups and downs. There have been times of sickness and times of health, times of joy and times of sorrow. There have been times of plenty, and times of poverty. There have been times of frustration and disappointment as well as times of peace and understanding. Through it all, we have clung to each other for support. I am still married to my best friend in the whole world, and he is dearer to me now than he was when we were married.

Steven is away on Trek today, so I wont see him, but he wrote me a sweet letter and I know he is thinking of me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop