A Grateful Thought

I am grateful that my mom taught me to play the piano when I was young.

I don't remember her giving me many formal piano lessons; she probably tried, and I wouldn't practice. But, she did teach me the basics, and whenever I had a question about what a symbol or something meant, she was ready to help. I am thankful for my mom and her patience and encouragement.

When I was a teenager, I remember receiving opportunities to play in church. I accompanied the Young Women during a musical number in Sacrament Meeting. I played for a baptism. I played for seminary. I am thankful that my leaders gave me opportunities to play, and that they and my peers had patience and understanding when my playing wasn't perfect. I am grateful for the motivation to practice and improve my skills.

As a missionary, I came to realize the impact that music can have. I am grateful for a mission president who encouraged us to begin every discussion with a song. I am grateful for opportunities to serve in small branches where there were few with musical training, so I could help them hear the songs of Zion as played on a keyboard, not just from missionaries voices.

I am grateful for the musical callings I have received, playing piano in Primary and Relief Society, and conducting the music in Relief Society and sacrament meeting. I am grateful that I have a talent that I can share with others in my ward. I am grateful for the opportunities to serve that this talent has made possible.

I may not have the skills of some people, to sit down and be able to play anything, but I can play most of the hymns and songs in our Children's Songbook, and I'm still practicing and learning, trying to improve my skills, so maybe, someday, I will be one of those who can sit down and play anything.

But it all started with a mother who had the patience to sit down and teach me to play. Thanks, Mom.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

The Year in Review: Peter in 2022

April 2023 Newsletter