Some Thoughts from Yesterday

Yesterday felt a little crazy. I'm not sure why. Maybe because it was my first day serving in my newest calling as official ward chorister. Maybe because I was teaching in Relief Society, and I didn't feel like the lesson really came together for me until that morning, even though I had been reading and thinking about it for weeks. For whatever reason, I was grateful when church was over yesterday, and even then, I still felt kind of tense and wound up.

A shower thought yesterday:
First, where I'm coming from:
  1. I recently acquired a copy of Added Upon by Nephi Smithson at a stake church book exchange. I read it this past week, and enjoyed the renewed perspective that this life is only one stage of our eternal progression, that we existed before we were born, and we will continue to exist after we die. 
  2. Also, while I was preparing for my lesson yesterday morning (before I even got out of bed), Steven mentioned the manifesto, which is the official statement that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints would no longer practice polygamy.
So, while I was in the shower, my brain combined these thoughts and came up with this idea:
  1. What if, in the very beginning, God created an equal number of spirit women and spirit men? 
  2. What if, in the great war in heaven when a third of the host of heaven chose to follow Satan's plan, and therefore not receive bodies on this earth, there were more spirit men in that group than spirit women?
  3. If this were the case, there would be more women than men to be born on this earth.
  4. We understand that a man and a woman must be sealed by proper authority in order to receive exaltation, and that neither can receive the highest degree of the Celestial Kingdom without the other. (See D&C 132)
  5. Therefore, (if all my suppositions are true, and I admit that there is no evidence to prove it is) polygamy could be considered necessary, at certain times, and for certain people, to ensure that all God's daughters have an opportunity to receive exaltation. Otherwise, there could be righteous daughters who would miss out on the greatest blessings simply because all the worthy men were taken. 
  6. I don't believe God would condone a woman taking more than one husband (polyandry) for two reasons:  One reason being that (again, if my suppositions are true) it would offset the balance between men and women even farther. The other reason is that it would leave in doubt who was the father of any children she might have. 
______________________________________________________________________
 
An additional thought on a completely unrelated topic: Steven starts his new job today!!!!! I'm excited and I really hope everything goes well for him!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

The Year in Review: Peter in 2022

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop