Farewell, Washing Machine

I'm not usually one to make an $800 expenditure on a whim, especially when money has been so tight... but what else do you do when your washing machine breaks down?

Yesterday, I was washing my normal load-a-day of laundry, and at one point the washer sounded a little odd, but I just thought it was slightly off balance or something. When I went to transfer it to the dryer, the clothes were still dripping wet - and obviously dirty! I ended up rinsing everything out in the sink, scrubbing a few spots by hand, wringing it as dry as I could, and then sticking it in the dryer. In the bottom of the washing machine there remained several inches of dirty water. I tried messing with the controls, putting it on spin cycle, hoping that would drain it, but it didn't, and I noticed an odor, kind of like my hair dryer smells sometimes, like an electric burning smell. My guess is that the pump that pumps the water out burnt out.

I eventually managed to figure out how to drain the old machine - by lowering the drain hose in the back, the water poured out and I filled a bucket (several times) with the filthy, smelly water from the washer.

When my dryer stopped working properly several months ago, I rigged a clothes line and dried the clothes that way. I experienced washing clothes by hand on my mission and I didn't want to do that again - especially now that I have a family of six to wash for, not just myself. So after a discussion with Steven, I looked at washing machines online.

Since we did just replace our dryer five months ago, the first thought was to get the matching washing machine, but when I looked at the reviews, I wasn't very impressed. Several people mentioned having problems within just a few months of getting it, and complained that it wasn't very high quality. I did find, however, that there was a "platinum" version of the washer with much better reviews, but it was also more expensive.

Again, I discussed with Steven what I had found, and together we decided to go ahead and get the platinum version. (Steven has been working and we do have the money to pay for it.) We placed an order online and I've already spoken with a delivery guy on the phone about having it delivered. Hopefully they'll be able to bring it in the next couple days.

Meanwhile, I'm going to take a vacation from laundry washing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop