With God All Things Are Possible

Yesterday, I got to teach in Relief Society for the first time since I was called to teach. I will teach every 2nd Sunday, from the Teachings of the Presidents Of the Church. This is the first time I have ever taught from these books, and I found the format a little challenging when I was trying to organize my lesson, trying to find a natural progression. I ended up starting in the middle and working my way backwards, throwing in the very end just before I got to the beginning.

I always learn far more when I am preparing to teach than I ever get opportunity to actually teach, and this week was no exception. The lesson was Chapter14, "With God All Things Are Possible."

Here are some of the connections, questions and thoughts I came up with while preparing, divided by section. 
From the Life of Lorenzo Snow
  • "Supernatural aid" is the grace of God, but it can be shown in many ways. It comes via the atonement of Christ. It comes via the whisperings and comfort of the Holy Ghost. It can come though the assistance of other people, responding to the promptings of the Holy Ghost.
  • "Where the Lord plants us, there we are to stand." This reminded me of the story of the Israelite who tried to steady the ark. See D&C 85:8, and 1Chron 13:9-10
  • The story of the storm reminded me of Jesus calming the storm. (Mark 4:36-41) I especially like the last sentence of this story, "He was at the helm, and my life was safe in His keeping." It makes me think of the many times that my life hasn't gone according to my plan, especially in the last few years, and the trust I have learned to have in the Lord, to know that my life is safe in His keeping.
  • When President Snow was called to be a prophet, he accepted the call with humility and faith. There have been a couple times I have received calls that seemed overwhelming or just plain scary. The first was when I was called to teach Sunday School to a BYU ward full of returned missionaries. Another was when I was called to be Primary President. Even my present calling to teach Relief Society requires me to trust in god's help. Like President Snow said, "...it was for him to do the very best he could and depend upon the Lord."
Teachings of Lorenzo Snow
With God's help, we can do anything required of us.
  • This section is about the story of the young rich man. See Matt19:16-26, also Mark 10:27 footnote a. Some points of interest are that it wasn't that the young man was not a "good" man - he kept the law of Moses all his life. It wasn't even that he was rich that was the problem. The problem was that the young man held his riches dearer than obedience to what Jesus asked of him. See Jacob 2:18-19 and Jacob 4:6-7.
  • We need to be wholly devoted to God's service, willing to sacrifice whatever He may require of us. The pioneers were asked to leave their homes and travel to Zion. This young rich man was asked to give up his riches. What things might we be asked to give up? Time? Tithing? What else? 
  • What things keep us from making the sacrifices God asks of us? Pride? Fear? Habit?
God has promised to help us in our personal efforts to live the gospel.
  • "In and of ourselves we cannot possibly comply with all the commandments that God has given us." See Romans 3:23, Matt 5:48, D&C 1:31, and Moroni 10:32.
  • God requires great things from us: great sacrifices, great works to perform. He doesn't expect us to do it on our own. He never intended for us to do them on our own. See Phil 4:13, 2 Ne 25:23, and D&C 6:36.
  • See Mosiah 24:8-22.
  • The demands on us to achieve eternal life are the same as were required in every age. From Adam to Moses to the pioneers to today, the requirements are the same, and the only way we can comply with all these demands is with the help of God's endowment. What does this mean for those who lived in a time when there was no temple on the earth?
When we participate in God's work, we need God's help.
  • We have to have God's guidance, help and support when we are doing His work. See D&C 42:14.
  • This is God's work. He requires that it be carried out a certain way. He also knows that we can do what he has asked us to do - with His help. 
  • God knew us before we came to this earth. (See Jer 1:5 and Eph 1:3-4) We agreed to certain tasks and purposes, and the Lord will help us accomplish them if we place our trust in Him.
Trusting in the Lord brings peace. When we have learned to place our trust in him, we can weather the storms of life, we can serve wherever we are called, knowing that "He [is] at the helm, and [our lives are] safe in His keeping."

I think I am going to enjoy this calling. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop