His Promises Are Sure

I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise. (D&C 82:10)

And, again, strong drinks are not for the belly, but for the washing of your bodies.
 And again, tobacco is not for the body, neither for the belly, and is not good for man, but is an herb for bruises and all sick cattle, to be used with judgment and skill.
16 All grain is good for the food of man; as also the fruit of the vine; that which yieldeth fruit, whether in the ground or above the ground—
 18 And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;
 19 And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;
 20 And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.
 21 And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen. (D&C 89: 7,8,16,18-21)
10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. (Malachi 3:10, see also 3 Nephi 24:10)
For the Lord God hath said that: Inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments ye shall prosper in the land; and inasmuch as ye will not keep my commandments ye shall be cut off from my presence. (2 Nephi 4:4, see also 1 Ne 2:20, 2 Nephi 1:20, Jarom 1:9, Omni 1:6, Mosiah 1:7, Mosiah 2:31, Alma 9:13, Alma 36:1, Alma 36:30, Alma 37:13, Alma 38:1, and Alma 50:20)
20 There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated—
 21 And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated. (D&C 130:20-21)
For all who will have a blessing at my hands shall abide the law which was appointed for that blessing, and the conditions thereof, as were instituted from before the foundation of the world. (D&C 132:5)
 After a long conversation yesterday with a friend who is in the midst of difficulties right now, I awoke this morning with these scriptures buzzing around in my brain. Sometimes we are in need of certain blessings. I'm sure that God wants to give us those blessings, but he needs for us to obey the law in order to receive those blessings. 

In order for my children to be on the computer or watch a movie, there are certain chores that they must complete first. I am usually more than happy to let them receive the blessing (be on the computer), but the law (the chores) must be done first.

Sometimes (usually) God requires us to show obedience and sacrifice, a willingness to put His desires first before he gives us the blessings that he knows that we need. 

So.... if there is a blessing that you desire, figure out what commandment is linked to that blessing. Need money? Pay tithing. Need health? Keep the Word of Wisdom. Want to prosper? Keep the commandments. It's simple.

I am a child of God.
His promises are sure;
Celestial glory shall be mine
If I can but endure.
  by Naomi Ward Randall

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop