A Chance to Serve

Yesterday I found out about a family that very recently moved into our ward and is now living on our street. The mother was in critical condition in the ICU with the swine flu. She has three children, ages 8, 4 and 9 months. Our Relief Society president had asked one of my counselors to watch the children this afternoon, and she left our presidency meeting that morning with the intent to go buy diapers for the baby and then go watch the poor kids. They were in my thoughts that afternoon. Last night as we were putting our kids to bed, I received a phone call from the RS president telling me that the children were now being watched by a couple of 18 year old girls in our ward, but that the baby was running a fever. She asked if I had baby Tylenol, and if I knew what dosage to give him. I have children's Tylenol, and I found a dosage chart, so I grabbed the medicine, the book containing the chart and my bathroom scale and headed up the street to their home. The baby was warm, but had been given a bath and didn't seem to be burning up any more. We figured out the baby's weight and were able to figure out the correct dosage and give it to the baby. He looked sleepy, but was crawling around, pushing a toy across the carpet when I left. I met the 8 year old girl, and she seemed really sweet. She is in 3rd grade, just like John, but although she knew she would go to the same school as my kids, she didn't know which teacher she would have yet. I think the 4 year old had already been put to bed.

With all my feelings of being overwhelmed and trying to figure out what I am supposed to be doing in my new calling, it was nice to have an opportunity like this one. I had a chance to serve someone who needed it. I had what was needed, I knew what to do, and it was something I felt comfortable doing. I hope I can have more opportunities like this one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop