Snow Day

The kids have a snow day today!!! I'm so glad. That means I don't have to go anywhere at all today. I can stay home, read, bake, clean, deal with bored, sopping wet, freezing children. Hmmmm. Maybe it won't be so wonderful after all. Oh well.

Here is the view from our front door this morning. Our flower pots look like ice cream cones!

Yesterday wasn't as bad as I feared it would be. I was able to renew my library books online so I didn't have to go to the library. My Visiting teaching companion called to say her children were sick so she wouldn't be going, and when I called the sister I was going to visit, she encouraged me to stay home and we had a nice long chat on the phone. John's scouts was canceled last night too so the only place I had to go was to school and back. Dropping the kids off at school yesterday wasn't a problem. I managed to get up the hill and back down without much difficulty. Picking the kids up was a little more of a challenge. I left later than I had planned to and so I wasn't able to park as close to the school as I would have liked. I left Peter in the car where it was warm and I trudged out into the calf deep snow to collect the kids and lead them back to the car. I had forgotten my umbrella and a sweet lady outside Josh's classroom gave me a sheet of plastic I could hold over my head. John forgot to zip up his back pack and somewhere along the way he lost his reading book, his student planner and his homework. (Of course he didn't mention he was missing them until he got home!) We made it back to the car okay, but then I had some difficulty getting the car moving again. I was stuck on a slightly uphill slope, against the curb, with cars both in front and behind, and other cars passing on the side. Eventually the stream of cars passing diminished and the car behind me pulled out and I was able to back up a little way to a point where I could pull out and head for home. We dropped off the little girl up the street (Yesterday was her first day of school here and I'm giving her rides to and from school.) and then attempted to pull into our garage. I couldn't do it. The upward sloping driveway had not yet been plowed and my poor van couldn't make it up the hill. After trying for several minutes I turned around and parked on the side of the street--on the other side of the street. Steven was able to put the car in the garage when he got home from work several hours later, after the driveway had been plowed. The kids had a blast playing in the snow all afternoon. I'm sure that will continue today as the snow continues to fall. It should stop tonight and tomorrow should be clear. But for now I can enjoy a lazy day of not going anywhere, not doing anything. I love it!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop