Snow Day Aftermath

The sun is shining and the kids are back in school today. But they were late. Our school has a "gentle start" policy. Kids are supposed to arrive between 7:35 and 7:45am. If they are not at school be 7:45 they are late. Usually we try to leave home at 7:30 so we have plenty of time for things forgotten at the last minute and to pick up the little girl up the street. Today was no different. We went out to the garage at 7:30; the girl was waiting a few buildings up the street; we were on time. Unfortunately, as I was backing down the driveway, another car turned onto our street and I had to stop halfway down the driveway for them to pass. Unfortunately that meant I lost all my momentum and I was stuck. For the next twenty minutes the girl's great grandmother and I pushed, pulled, dug and salted, trying to get the car out of the driveway, over icy ruts, and onto the street. Eventually another car paused to give some helpful advice (I imagine they were Colorado natives and not California and Arizona/Florida transplants like the old lady and I are.) and with a little more effort we got loose and were able to get to school. We arrived at 8:00. The kids were late and had to get slips from the office. I felt bad, but I don't know what more I could have done. I hate driving in snow.

Yesterday the kids enjoyed playing in the snow most of the day. They built a fort, a snow witch, and snow angels. They threw snowballs at each other. They visited with Mary Lee, our elderly neighbor up the hill directly across from us. They came inside when they were frozen with soaking pants and socks and changed into dry ones. An hour or so later they would go back out. (And come back in later with soaking wet pants and socks and change into dry ones...) I washed laundry yesterday. I may need to wash some more tomorrow.


Tonight is our ward's Trunk or Treat. I'm wondering if the church parking lot is going to be plowed or if kids are going to be wading through knee deep snow to get to the car trunks. Hannah is concerned that her dress is going to be too cold. She'll have to wear it over something else I guess. Trick or Treating on Halloween could be fun with all the snow drifts. Hmmmm. I think I'll send the kids out with Steven and I'll stay home to pass out candy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

The Year in Review: Peter in 2022

April 2023 Newsletter