Reading List

Lately I've been reading a lot. Most of the books I've read recently are geared towards young people, and I've been borrowing Hannah's books to read while she is in school because they are good! If anyone is interested, (and has similar taste in books, and would like some light reading) here is what I've been reading:

The Cat Who.... series by Lilian Jackson Braun.  These are detective/mystery type books, but there are actual cats involved. The books in the series stand on their own and don't necessarily have to be read in order, but sometimes it helps because it gives you more background on the characters involved.

Eragon by Christopher Paolini. I read this a long time ago along with its sequel, but I wanted to refresh my memory before I read the third book in the series. Strong influences from Tolkien and David Eddings.

Percy Jackson and The Olympians  series by Rick Riordan. It helps if you have some basic knowledge of Greek Mythology because in the book those immortals never die.

Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull. Brownies, demons, witches, elves, magic. What's not to enjoy?

Charlie Bone and the Children of the Red King series by Jenny Nimmo. Reminiscent of Harry Potter, but lighter reading. Very fun. Jenny Nimmo has also written several other enjoyable books.

Peter and the Starcatchers series by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson. Okay, I haven't actually read this recently, but it's on my list of books to read next because they are really funny (with Dave Barry as an author how couldn't it be?) and the third book just came out. This series is prequel to James Barrie's Peter Pan.

Another good author I've read some good books by is Gail Carson Levine (Ella Enchanted).

I guess that's it for now. I'm thinking I might go back to Jane Austin sometime soon, but I've enjoyed this venture into children's fantasy.

Comments

  1. Just be aware that the Barry/Pearson books completely contradict J.M. Barrie's original stories. Besides Pan already having a backstory that they ignore, there are numerous mistakes as compared to Barrie (of the fact-checking variety.) It's like they never even read Barrie. And if it's supposed to be a prequel to the Disney film, the series contradicts that, too.

    There is a faithful Pan story, though... it's based on Barrie's idea for more adventure. Find it at: http://www.peterpansneverworld.com/

    BELIEVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rereading some of the same stuff here... just got into Fablehaven, Benjamin is reading the Percy Jackson series so I need to, and I like Peter and the Starcatchers, even if it isn't true to Barrie. Always good to find something to read that's clean and enjoyable. Ever read the Artemis Fowl books? You might like those. I'm currently rereading Eddings... another series Benjamin is enjoying is Rangers Apprentice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop